Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Nassau County, Florida - Raster Sampler

This map was created using State Plane NAD 83 Floria East Projection.  The challenge was finding the raster data.  I struggled with the digital elevation model because I didn't recognize what I was downloading was a zipped file (no zipper) and I didn't have WINZIP installed on my computer. I chose raster files along the coastline hoping for the greatest variation in elements, e.g. cities, ocean, beaches.  Digital Elevation Models seem to have less impact in areas with limited elevation change.

I set the hydrology layer on top of the raster files with a 50% transparency to show how well the data lined up.  I placed a USGS 1:24,000 grid as a base which helped me fit map elements and show the alignment of the raster files.  I think the unique legend format works with this map given the blank spaces I had to work map elements into.  The DEM and DRG raster file extend into the next county which throws off the shape of the county.

1 comment: