Sunday, March 21, 2010

Wk 9 - Vector Analysis II

This was a really valuable lab that taught some important and powerful analysis tools.  I look forward to trying the rest of the tools in the near future.  I was pressed for time having spent last week in Emmitsburg, MD attending a course at the Emergency Management Institute so I used the minimum amount of tools to get the lab done.

Q1. I used the intersect tool to join the water and road buffers and ended up with the same results as I did with the union tool.
Q2. I used the erase tool to remove the campsites that intersected the conservation areas. After adding the conservation areas layer, I was expecting a few more sites to be eliminated since there were six conservation areas.  Only three sites were completely eliminated while other sites reduced in size.

Q3. 79 potential campsites remained. The largest was 7,765,034 square meters and the smallest was 748 square meters. The smallest site looks like a sliver that should be removed with topology rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment