Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Washington DC Crime Analysis


In spite of all the glitches with this exercise, I really enjoyed the it.  I lived near DC for 6 years and have worked in and with Law Enforcement for nearly 12 years.  The kernel density tool is amazing and way beyond pin mapping.  I am looking forward to applying this project to my work.
 I found three areas that definately need a new station.  The first priority actually has more crimes where it would be the closest station because 189 crimes fell outside the buffer all at the southwest corner of their large beat.

I was a little suprised that the auto theft rate was highest earlier in the evening and fell off sharply after midnight.  I'll have to ponder the reason why.  Maybe many more people out and about plus tourist population. 

No comments:

Post a Comment